If you develop any of the following side effects, you should call your doctor right
away; he or she may decide to stop treatment.
What is the most important information I should know about CIMZIA?
CIMZIA is a medicine that affects your immune system. CIMZIA can lower the ability
of the immune system to fight infections. Serious infections have happened in
patients taking CIMZIA, including tuberculosis (TB) and infections caused by viruses,
fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body. Some patients have died
from these infections.
- Your doctor should test you for TB before starting CIMZIA
- Your doctor should monitor you closely for signs and
symptoms of TB during treatment with CIMZIA
Certain types of cancer
There have been cases of unusual cancers in children and teenage patients using TNF-blocking agents.
CIMZIA is not approved for use in pediatric patients. For people taking TNF-blocker medicines, including CIMZIA,
the chances for getting lymphoma or other cancers may increase. People with RA, especially more serious RA, may
have a higher chance for getting a kind of cancer called lymphoma.
The most common side effects of CIMZIA are:
Upper respiratory infections (flu, cold), rash, and urinary tract infections (bladder infections).
What are the possible side effects of CIMZIA?
- Heart Failure, including new heart failure or worsening of heart failure you already have. Symptoms include shortness of breath, swelling of your ankles or feet, or sudden weight gain.
- Allergic Reactions. Signs of an allergic reaction include a skin rash, swelling or itching of the face, tongue, lips, or throat, or trouble breathing.
- Hepatitis B virus reactivation in patients who carry the virus in their blood. In some cases, patients have died as a result of hepatitis B virus being reactivated. Your healthcare provider should monitor you carefully before and during treatment with CIMZIA to see if you carry the hepatitis B virus in your blood. Tell your healthcare provider if you have any of the following symptoms:
- feel unwell
- poor appetite or vomitting
- skin or eyes look yellow
- pain on the right side of your stomach
- tiredness (fatigue)
- New or worsening nervous system problems, such as multiple sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barre syndrome, seizures, or inflammation of the nerves of the eyes. Symptoms may include:
- numbness or tingling
- problems with your vision
- weakness in your arms or legs
- Blood Problems. Your body may not make enough of the blood cells that help fight infections or help stop bleeding. Symptoms include a fever that doesn’t go away, bruising or bleeding very easily, or looking very pale.
- Immune reactions including a lupus-like syndrome. Symptoms include shortness of breath, joint pain, or a rash on the cheeks or arms that worsens with sun exposure.
Call your healthcare provider right away if you have any side effects listed above.