If you develop any of the following side effects, you should call your doctor right
away; he or she may decide to stop treatment.
What is the most important information I should know about CIMZIA?
CIMZIA is a medicine that affects your immune system. CIMZIA can lower the ability
of the immune system to fight infections. Serious infections have happened in
patients taking CIMZIA, including tuberculosis (TB) and infections caused by viruses,
fungi, or bacteria that have spread throughout the body. Some patients have died
from these infections.
- Your doctor should test you for TB before starting CIMZIA
- Your doctor should monitor you closely for signs and
symptoms of TB during treatment with CIMZIA
Certain types of cancer
There have been cases of unusual cancers in children and teenage patients using
tumor necrosis factor (TNF)-blocking agents. CIMZIA is not approved for use in pediatric
patients. For people taking TNF-blocker medicines, including CIMZIA, the chances
for getting lymphoma or other cancers may increase. People with rheumatoid arthritis
(RA), especially more serious RA, may have a higher chance for getting a kind of
cancer called lymphoma.
The most common side effects of CIMZIA are:
Upper respiratory infections (flu, cold), rash, and urinary tract infections (bladder infections).
Other side effects have happened in some people including new psoriasis or worsening of psoriasis you already have and injection site reactions. Tell your doctor about any side effect that bothers you or does not go away. These are not all of the side effects with CIMZIA. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
What are the possible side effects of CIMZIA?
CIMZIA can cause serious side effects including:
- Heart Failure including new heart failure or worsening of heart failure you already have. Symptoms include shortness of breath or swelling of your ankles or feet.
- Nervous System Problems such as multiple sclerosis, seizures, or inflammation of the nerves of the eyes. Symptoms include dizziness, numbness or tingling, problems with your vision, and weakness in your arms or legs.
- Allergic Reactions. Signs of an allergic reaction include a skin rash, swollen face, or trouble breathing.
- Hepatitis B virus reactivation in patients who carry the virus in their blood. In some cases, patients have died as a result of hepatitis B virus being reactivated. Your doctor should monitor you carefully before and during treatment with CIMZIA to see if you carry the hepatitis B virus in your blood. Tell your doctor if you have any of the following symptoms:
- feel unwell
- poor appetite
- tiredness (fatigue)
- fever, skin rash, or joint pain
- Blood Problems. Your body may not make enough of the blood cells that help fight infections or help stop bleeding. Symptoms include a fever that doesn't go away, bruising or bleeding very easily, or looking very pale.
- Immune reactions including a lupus-like syndrome. Symptoms include shortness of breath, joint pain, or a rash on the cheeks or arms that worsens with sun exposure.
Call your doctor right away if you develop any of the above side effects or
CIMZIA is a non-steroidal biologic prescription treatment used to lessen the signs
and symptoms of moderately to severely active Crohn’s disease in adults who have
not been helped enough by usual treatments.